
So, today is Fat Tuesday and I did just what the kids in the picture are doing: I went to my favorite fast food establishment and ate LOTS of french fries. Why? FAT TUESDAY. Duh.
Of course, FT is pretty useless without the day that follows it: lent. I don't know that I have ever participated in lent and this lead to a small bit of introspection last night. Normally I gloss over Easter. It comes, it goes... I eat Cadbury eggs. There are no presents, there are no days off and therefore I do not put much effort into the celebration. Pathetic? Surely. Not this year.
I'm giving up deep-fried food for lent. It sounds stupid and sounds like I'm using lent to push a weight loss goal. This isn't true. I'm doing it because it is going to be inconvenient. I won't be able to get fast food. I'll be forced to look forward to Easter... and I'm going to use this inconvenience and yearning to ponder Easter and prepare for it. I'm actually kind of excited about it... and the french fries that are awaiting me at dinner tonight. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment