Sunday, May 21, 2006

A trip down old school lane...


Today has been interesting and didn't exactly go the way that it was supposed to go. It started out with an early morning wake up call as I had not yet prepared to lead our small group today and needed to catch up before church. I got prepped for that and did some last minute things for our open house. We arrived at church to find out that four of our six couples couldn't do group today. (A constantly recurring theme with our group: "We can't make it.") This opened up the afternoon a bit and, while an annoyance, really did make things go more smoothely.

Alesha and I decided to avail ourselves of the quickest, easiest available sustenance known to the American family: McDonald's. I am quite fat, but seldom eat at McDs because it is disgustingly unhealthy. This was reaffirmed to me because they have begun printing their nutritional information DIRECTLY ON THE PACKAGING. Ever wonder how many calories were in a large fry? Nearly 600. Wow. The connection that took place in my mind today was not unlike the one I experienced in a movie theater a year ago when Darth Vader uttered the words "Where is Padme? Is she safe?" Just like Vader, after coming to the haunting realization that the rather tiny amount of food I had just consumed was worth over 1000 calories I screamed the word "NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" to the sound of those in the audience laughing. Bummer.

The Open House... oh, the open house. My heart has been filled with this renewed sense that our house is going to sell soon and that God is on the move. I have relayed many of the things that Alesha and I have been dealing with on this issue to many of you both over the phone and in person. Reactions range from encouraging to... well... friendly enough not to utter true opinions. This is supposed to be a place to write about such matters and feelings but I just don't want to. Please pray for me and for God to set me straight. That's what we need more than anything else. :)

Anyways... while doing the open house I sat in the front room and waited for people to shuffle through. I had to do something to keep myself awake (otherwise I would have been reading) so I decided to go the gaming route. Rather than try to make sense of Sin: Emergence I tracked with the message board discussion and loaded up some emulators. I've got an NES emulator that packs a whopping 600 games and an SNES emulator with 140. Of all the options, I went with Super Mario World. SMW was Nintendo's flagship game which they used to launch the SNES. I'm sorry to tell you that my opinion of it now is quite similar to what it was then: "This sucks." Despite the fact that I don't really like it and far prefer Mario for the DS... I have been playing it. The game insults my intelligence and, frankly, I feel like it is making fun of my previously mentioned thousand calorie meal when it tells me that it is now taking me to "donut world". Is it really necessary to poke fun at me, your patron? Were it not for Mario's own corpulence he would never be able to make such jokes with impunity.

I guess I'm off to watch some TV with Monet. We just caught last week's Doctor Who (GREAT STUFF) and may finish up with Friday night's episode. Alias's latest entry is also sitting on TIVO awaiting our attention and the day is quickly coming to a close. This weekend was so packed with large events that it was difficult to find any true relaxation. Next weekend should be different, especially with the extra day.

Much love, my friends! Enjoy Monday!

No comments: