Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Is that a zombie in your pocket or are you happy to see me?

Sorry for the long waits between blogs. I knew that having a baby would take free time away but I simply had no idea the scope of activity and responsibility that would come into play as a parent. Aurora simply demands attention in all of her waking moments. She has begun to take some interest in a contraption that consists of a pad she lays on and some criss-crossing "arms" that hang toys above her head. I've actually been able to set her down there for nearly half an hour at a time and she has remained happy and occupied. (This is nice for things like going to the bathroom when Alesha is gone.)

My recent thoughts on fatherhood? The occasional conversation with Durek has been awesome because he and Holly continue to be my "preview" for what the next couple of weeks could look like with Aurora. I wish I could provide him the same sort of moral support and reconnaissance. It has no doubt been TOUGH. I've had to place a much higher priority on sleeping when I can. I'm amazed at how strong Aurora's will is even at this early stage of the game. During the first weeks of her life I would walk her around the house to calm her down (this was the ONLY thing that would work). Recently, I've stopped walking and just been holding her on my shoulder. This is not good enough for her and she communicates this dissonance between expectation and reality through MASSIVE crying fits. These fits immediately dissipate when I stand up and walk around... Once I discovered that I was not, in fact, calming a baby in discomfort but was taking Her Majesty out for her evening strolls around the palace... well... Let's just say that the last several days have seen battle royales between 7 week old determination and 27 year old stubbornness. Her screaming (which is loud but not any more so than any other baby) has been bothering my ears terribly so I have taken to wearing earplugs during her fits. (This is all done in love, of course. I can't let her run the house at 7 weeks... sorry, if that sounds cruel but that's the way it is) It's hilarious how she throws a massive fit and then collapses into a deep sleep.

Any other fatherhood stuff? Hmmm... the only other thing I can think of is a plug for Joel Osteen and Joyce Meyers. I know that Joel is considered to be "health and wealth" by many theological elitists (I know because I did a lot of reading on him... he's loved and hated... then again, most people probably are), but his weekly sermons delivered via podcast have been encouraging beyond words. He always brings a smile to my face but also consistently hits me in an area where I need to grow. We could all learn a thing or two from that kind of preaching. Joyce Meyers... yeah, I know... doesn't she preach to women? Don't dismiss her too quickly either. Her daily podcast accompanies me to work most days. (Cnet's daily buzz is in there somewhere too. :)

Gaming has all but come to a halt but I did snag Capcom's "Dead Rising" for the XBOX360. I think it looks hilariously fun. I'll let you know what I think. The game that I have been by far the most excited about is Mass Effect but it has been moved back until April of next year. Bummer. I was planning on doing some serious time in that game this Christmas. Other games on the horizon: Gears of War (360) and Zelda (Gamecube/Wii). The Wii is something that I am hugely excited about. Rumors say it could launch as early as the first half of October. I hope that is true... though in light of the Aurora Project going into its second phase, time for such things are still limited.

Reading? HA! I don't read anymore. (Other than all the internet crap I digest at work for the RIOT.) I despise myself for my lack of reading but I fall asleep whenever I pick up a book and reading is especially difficult with a squirming little one. This will pick up soon. (It had better...)

The 10k! Training continues! I am running 10-12 miles a week. The exercise regimen I am on has been pretty strict and consists of training 6 days per week. I said that I didn't get into this to lose weight but I am exceptionally unhappy about the fact that in nearly four weeks of exercising I have lost ONE pound. ONE F@#%$#^ING POUND! I do feel like my appearance in the mirror has changed slightly but that's pretty subjective. My fitness level is up but I'd love to not look fat. I guess life is a journey and chucking weight is a process. And if you're wondering: no I'm not bathing in junk food. I'm not starving myself (I gotta have the energy) but I'm not eating a constant buffet of crap. The most important part of the 10K:

The Ipod. Dude. DUDE. I LOVE my Ipod. LOVE IT. It is probably the best piece of consumer tech I have ever snagged. Whether I'm in the car, at my desk, in the gym, or in my bed, I'm constantly using the Ipod. Granted, I'm only a 4 gigger... but it was amazingly worth it. The Nike+ options that keep track of my running progress only make it that much cooler. If you're thinking about it but you are on the fence, I truly think it is worth the investment.

I think that's it. I would really appreciate it if you could keep a couple of things in your prayers:

1. Aurora away from home. Next week Alesha is going back to school for two weeks and will then be starting maternity leave. This means that Aurora will be with my mom and with some friends from church (MASSIVE blessing there). She has taken to being fussy the last few days and I'm really concerned about the impression she will make with those caring for her during the day. I don't want Aurora to be a pain and I get concerned that I put up with her because I'm her dad and I love her but Grandma and friends may be a little less patient. I'm probably being silly but I've only been a dad for 7 weeks. Cut me some slack. Pray the Lord helps her make the transition.

2. Miscarriage. We have had yet another set of friends who have suffered a miscarriage. Please be praying for them.

I think those are the two that press on me the most. Thanks for sharing, praying, and reading the Pentavorite blog. Remember to keep my updated on anything you would like posted here and it is a done deal. We may be moving back to the old site with some new upgrades in the next month or two. More on that when I have time.

Peace!

O.

No comments: