I have been trying to sit down and blog. I really enjoy reading everyone else's blogs and it is somewhat cathartic to sit down and share my life with the brotherhood. Bullet points are no doubt the haven of lazy writers. I am this man. Bring on the bullets!
Birthday. I turned 28 years old last week. Wow. It was probably the single most understated birthday in the history of my life. My wife and I always celebrate "birthday week" and give each other small gifts leading up to the actual birthday. It's a lot of fun because I came downstairs Monday morning to find a bottle of grenadine waiting for me. Expensive? No. Exquisite? ABSOLUTELY. :) On the actual day I joined the fam for dinner at the Outback Steakhouse. I've never been there but the food was fantastic! (Especially the cheese fries.) Alesha got me the new Voltron DVD set and some shirts to go running in this fall.
Birthdays at this point are a little disappointing. It's like Christmas: as a child, it was an amazing time where you got cool presents and you felt uniquely special. As an adult, it seems to mostly be just another day. It isn't that I didn't have fun and c'mon... VOLTRON for crying out loud, but the sensations of childhood are gone. I'm sure there are thrills awaiting now that I can lavish love and gifts and specialness on my own child (which I'm very much looking forward to) but it seems those things as personal experiences may be a thing of the past.
Last note: I missed not having a Gathering "conveniently" scheduled around my b-day. We've done it for the last five years and has grown to be the best part of celebrating another year, but with the majority of us having newborns I didn't even bother attempting it. I do think that we should look at making something happen in January. (I'm thinking that, by that point, the kids should be in good enough shape for us to abandon the ladies for an evening.)
Running. It continues. The 10k was INSANE! I have been running on some "hills" which turned out to be MINOR inclines. I stress the word MINOR. While I do not have any actual photos of the hills that I ran the 10k on I do have this artist rendition:

Seriously, I've never run up and down hills like I did at that 10k. The guy who organizes the races introduced me to the crowd on Saturday saying "This is Obadiah from RadioU blah, blah, blah... he picked a heck of a course for his first 10k. *crowd laughes hysterically*" I can usually do a 10k without stopping but I had to walk twice during the race because the hills destroyed me. I have another 10k coming up on October 7 and then I set my sites on the Columbus Marathon the next weekend. (I'm running the half. I couldn't run a marathon. NO WAY.) In preparing for the half marathon I did 10.25 miles in 1:50 this weekend. It's the first time since I've started this endeavour that I was in pain when I got done running. I iced my knees and took some ibuprofen and I'm not in pain today. This is good news. I've got to do between 11-12 next weekend to get myself up to par for the race. I'll let you know how it goes.
Aurora. My greatest joy and greatest pain. :) Not really. We are having a hard time getting her schedule regulated. We have nights where she sleeps for 8 hours and then we have last night: she was up every two hours and we have no idea why. We think we may have let her take too big of a nap yesterday afternoon. (This happened because we were sleeping, too. Whoops.) I feel like my heart continues to grow as it makes room for the strength of my love for Aurora... and even for Alesha. It's like someone put a multiplier on my previous emotions and they have grown MUCH stronger. I'm continually overwhelmed with gratitude when I have the two of them together. Of course, there are also moments of complete dispair when, in the midst of exhaustion, Aurora decides to prove to me just how powerful her lungs are. How do I cope? EARPLUGS! Oh... congrats to Big Sexy and company for the good news!!! (Nick, did you ever send me pictures for the blog? SEND 'EM!)
Gaming. Who has time? I did spend a half an hour or so with Lego Star Wars 2 this weekend. It's pretty hilarious.
TV. Heroes starts tonight. (It's GREAT. You should watch it.) Doctor Who is in season 2 starting on Friday night. (Acquired taste and definitely not for everyone.) Battlestar is back in two weeks. (Can't WAIT!) Grey's Anatomy. Guilty pleasure... but Alesha and I watch it every week and love every decadent minute. Crap.
Reading. I have been trying to find time to get through The Johnstown Flood by David McCoullough. He's a great author and I highly recommend 1776. I'm still doing Mere Christianity and a book about the Kingdom (I can't remember the name).
I think that wraps it up. If you're in town and around, send me an e-mail or call me. I'd love to see any and all of you. :) Have a great weekend!

No comments:
Post a Comment