Saturday, February 04, 2006

Deep in the enemy's camp...


Alesha and I have been going to the YMCA for the last two years... well... kinda. We've had a membership there, but patronage has been somewhat infrequent. It was getting massively inconvenient to get to the Y and so I got a membership at the Westerville Community Center (REALLY cheap... especially if you work/live there) and have been going there while Alesha has been kinda going to the Y. We thought of cancelling our membership at the beginning of volleyball season but since they make you pay a startup fee every time you cancel and renew it was actually cheaper to just maintain the membership for two months even though we weren't going. This was an excellent plan... except then came pregnancy and a great deal of sickness. This resulted in an utter lack of attendance yet again. (Keep in mind that I was/am still working out in Westerville. I wouldn't want you to think I'm letting myself go. Anyone who sees me may make that mistake so I want to verbalize my efforts even if the results are lackluster.)

Finally, we sat down last month and decided that it was stupid to keep paying for the Y when neither of us were using it. We decided we would be better off taking our monthly Y payment and investing in some sort of exercise equipment that Alesha could use at home rather than paying for an arduous journey that was not being undertaken.

I had this in the back of my mind to do, but have been quite exhausted from a long week at work and a concert last night. (Remind me to write a long post on what concerts are like for me these days.) For whatever reason, I woke up early this morning and headed into my office so I could watch my TIVO'd episode of The Office. It was nearing its completion when Alesha woke up and came in to share her great distress with me in regards to the absence of the elliptical trainer which we had been discussing lo these many weeks. This put a chain of events in motion that resulted in several hours of researching, shopping, eating (Bob Evan's breakfast bake... not as good as it sounds but not bad) and becoming members at Sam's Club. We got a great deal on an elliptical trainer. At least I think it is an elliptical trainer. Right now I'm actually the proud owner of a box that has a picture of an elliptical trainer on it with the words "some assembly required" beneath it. I'll let you know how that one works out.

Oh, and before I forget, I'd like to offer my services as a Sam's Club intermediary. If you are ready to purchase ketchup by the ton and not the ounce, you may use my card.

The Wal-Mart vs. The American People debate has been an interesting thing to follow on the internet. It basically breaks into "Walmart is killing the poor" vs. "Walmart is saving America". There appears to be very little middle ground. This unfortunately reminds me of everything else I come across these days. You are either a liberal or a conservative; Republican or Democrat; Evangelical Christian or very against Evangelical Christians (this includes Christians who usually insist on distancing themselves from those "damn evangelicals"). Each side offers up Michael Moore level arguments in which facts are muddied and truth is very difficult to understand. The perspective ALWAYS comes BEFORE the material and leaves very little room for free thought or exploration of ideas/viewpoints. What is going on in the world? Must everything break into an "us vs. them"?

I think the thing that bugs me the most is that I am an evangelical (I guess) who is conservative (for the most part) who voted for some Republicans (at least that one time) who is now a card carrying Sam's Club member (ketchup anyone?). All of these things make me and/or my opinions worthless to a great many people because rather than personhood I am reduced to a category. I know the old "if you label me you negate" me stuff sounds hollow (I mock it frequently) but I think many of us (myself included) should spend more time listening and less time talking. We should be willing to explore ideas without the fear that at the end we might be wrong and need to change our minds. Also, we should let go of the fact that, once we've shared our idea, the person MUST change their mind... and if they don't they are a (INSERT ANY OF THE ABOVE LABELS HERE). Not agreeing with someone is not closed-mindedness and accusing others of being closed-minded does not mean you have an open mind.

I guess in the end I'm saying we should be a little easier on each other.

I'm also suggesting that, if you haven't already, you check out Arrested Development. I'm starting season two after I hit the "Publish Post" button. It will be fabulous.

Final thought: would someone else PLEASE start waching Battlestar Galactica? I need someone to talk about that show with on a regular basis.

No comments: